As the capital of Lithuania and the country's largest city, Vilnius certainly has a lot to offer. From historic sites to picturesque streets, and amazing architecture, it’s hard to keep this wonderful city out of your bucket list. For a taste of Lithuania’s history, book a flight with Ryanair - Europe’s favourite airline.
Architecture and history of Vilnius
- As the remaining tower of a historic castle, Gediminas’ Tower is a must-see attraction in Vilnius. Today, the historic symbol has become a museum where visitors can learn more about the history of Lithuania.
- Possibly one of the most famous historical and cultural monuments of Lithuania is the Gate of Dawn. It is home to the Chapel Out Lady of the Date of Dawn, as well as many religious and historical icons. The Gate of Dawn is the last standing gate out of the nine city gates.
- For those interested in the history of the Soviet Union and the Lithuanian resistance, the Museum of Genocide Victims is a must see. The museum showcases artefacts and information of the Nazi era, as well as the 50-year occupation of Lithuania.
- The Church of St. Anne Vilnius is one of the most breath-taking 16th century Catholic churches in Lithuania. The Gothic style building was built in the 1500s and has attracted tourists for years.
Tips for visiting Vilnius
The best time to visit Vilnius is in the summer months. However, the city is alive and thriving throughout the year. Getting around is quite simple thanks to the city's excellent bus system. For better results, rent out a vehicle and make a day trip to the Baltic Sea shore. Book an affordable flight to Vilnius with Ryanair, and enjoy the benefits of Europe’s first and largest low fares airline!
- Vilnius International Airport (VNO)
Click here to rent a car in Vilnius.